Sofashield Terms & Conditions
These terms apply for the full 5 years of your Sofashield service. This leaflet contains a brief summary of the Sofashield service. Please refer to the Certificate for full terms and conditions, a copy of which is available from your Sofology store or direct from the scheme administrator, Castelan Limited. This is governed by English Law, however EU residents may bring proceedings in their own courts. Sofashield does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
To be eligible to purchase this Sofashield 5 year service the goods must be for residential use, in a property which is not let or sublet and you must be a resident of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland.
Making a claim
Our primary objective in the event of a claim will be the restoration of your furniture. You should contact us on 0370 320 0330 if you are calling from the United Kingdom or 01 2000 200 if you are calling from the Republic of Ireland, within 72 hours of discovery. We will then offer a mutually convenient appointment for one of our experienced specialists to call and rectify the problem. Where the event is likely to result in a stain please act immediately, remove any solid matter and soak up any moisture using a clean white cloth or absorbent tissue. Do not rub or use household cleaners or abrasives. Stains can be limited at this point using the blot and dab action.
Cancelling your cover
If you have purchased Sofashield cover, you have 14 days to cancel your policy and return your Sofashield certificate to the following address. Sofology, Golborne Point, Ashton Road, Golborne, WA3 3UL.
Exclusions and limitations
(This can be found on the Certificate under section 5).
Any claim for or resulting from the following will not be valid:
- Damage caused deliberately by any person or child;
- Any damage resulting from wear and tear;
- Neglect, abuse, or misuse of the product;
- The effects of sunlight, wind, weather, rusting, radiation, building fire, smoke damage, flooding or corrosion upon the product;
- Structural defects in products manufactured with a defective design or specification;
- Changes in colour of any part of the product caused by sunlight, perspiration, natural hair and body oils or wear and tear;
- The gradual accumulation of stains or dye transfer;
- Accidental staining or accidental damage to products used in a flood preparation area;
- Accidental staining or accidental damage caused by the use of incorrect or inappropriate cleaning products or cleaning methods;
- The removal of any odour even where caused by a stain;
- Any transit damage;
- Damage caused by pets after the first incident of pet damage covered under this insurance, (except accidental staining caused by pet fluids);
- Damage caused by any animal other than your pet(s);
- Costs, expenses or any other financial loss, such as loss of earnings, other than the cost we agree for cleaning, repairing or replacing the product;
- Use of the product in business premises or in residential premises which you let or sublet; and
- Excludes use of the product outside the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
Your duty of care
The service covers stain removal advice and repair or replacement of furniture in accordance with these terms. This service does not eliminate the need for routine cleaning and maintenance of your furniture and assumes that it will have been periodically cleaned, kept out of direct sunlight and maintained to a reasonable standard. This service is not a cleaning contract and does not cover the cleaning of covered item(s) that are soiled through wear and tear or a build up over time. In the event of a spill, you must contact Castelan (0370 320 0330) for instructions before attempting to clean the affected area. You should only clean the affected area strictly under the direction of the service provider, by using the approved cleaning kit or method offered. The service provider cannot be held responsible for the consequences of failure to follow its instructions and you must cooperate reasonably with the service provider in all attempts to resolve any claim. Failure to do so may result in you being unable to claim under this service.
Cover will commence from the date of delivery of the furniture and will continue, subject to these terms, for a period of 5 years. Cover will terminate immediately and you will lose all rights to the benefits:
- In the event of fraud, misinterpretation or dishonesty of any kind by you in relation to this service periods of cover and termination or any claim.
- Following payment(s) and/or cost incurred by the Insurer in relation to any one claim or the total of all claims, made by you throughout the service period, reaching the original purchase price.
- On full replacement of purchased furniture.
- On the end date shown on the certificate.
- In the event of a breach by you of any of these terms.
General benefits of Sofashield
In return for the payment (detailed in the Registration form), the Insurer agrees to repair or replace the affected part of furniture (as specified in the certificate) in the event of staining or accidental damage on upholstery as specified above. Where a stain is unable to be removed, the affected area will be replaced. Where any accidental damage is unable to be repaired the damaged area will be replaced. Where a full replacement takes place the damaged product becomes the property of the insurer and the insurance expires. Where any component is replaced the damaged component becomes the property of the insurer. Failure to return the damaged component to the insurer may invalidate the insurance. An exact colour match cannot be guaranteed due to the variation of dye lots. If you are a resident in the UK cover is only valid for covered item(s) situated in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. If you are a resident in the Republic of Ireland cover is only valid for Insured item(s) situated in Ireland. This service cannot be transferred to a new owner. The provision of the Contracts (Rights Against Third Parties) Act 1999 are expressly excluded and it is agreed that nothing in this service shall confer a benefit on any part other than you.
These terms have been abbreviated to the main points. Full terms, contact addresses and claims and complaints procedures are available on your service certificate. These terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights. Sofashield TM is a trademark of Sofology Ltd. For full terms and conditions go to www.sofology.co.uk